Review literature on assisted reproductive technology

Author: 
Nimmi R

One in six couples worldwide experience some form of infertility problem at least once during their reproductive lifetime. The current prevalence of infertility lasting for at least 12 months is estimated to be around 9% worldwide for women aged 20-44. 20-30% of infertility cases are explained by physiological causes in men, 20-35% by physiological causes in women, and 25-40% of cases are because of a problem in both partners.Fertility disorders are incredibly common. Falling pregnant actually involves a great deal of chance. The probability of a healthy fertile couple becoming pregnant is around 25% a month, but decreases, as a woman gets older. Infertility refers to an inability to conceive after having regular unprotected sex. Infertility can also refer to the biological inability of an individual to contribute to conception, or to a female who cannot carry a pregnancy to full term.

Download PDF: