A review on paediatric lead toxicity

Author: 
Adeline Persia R and Gowri Sethu

Lead is a metal which has been associated with human activities for the last 6000 years. In ancient civilizations, uses of lead included the manufacture of kitchen utensils, trays, and other decorative articles. However, lead is also toxic to humans, with the most deleterious effects on the haemopoietin, nervous, reproductive systems and the urinary tract. The main sources of lead exposure are paints, water, food, dust, soil, kitchen utensils, and leaded gasoline. The majority of cases of lead poisoning are due to oral ingestion and absorption through the gut. Lead poisoning in adults occurs more frequently during exposure in the workplace and primarily involves the central nervous system. Symptoms of haemopoietin system involvement include microcytic, hypochromic anaemia with basophilic stippling of the erythrocytes. Hyperactivity, anorexia, decreased play activity, low intelligence quotient, and poor school performance have been observed in children with high lead levels. Lead crosses the placenta during pregnancy and has been associated with intrauterine death, prematurity, and low birth weight. In 1991, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
in the USA redefined elevated blood lead levels as those ≥10 mµg/dl and recommended a new set of guidelines for the treatment of lead levels ≥15 µg/dl.

Download PDF: 
DOI: 
DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.24327/ijcar.2017.3121.0198